"It's A Wonderful Life..."

Sunday, February 26, 2006

"Does a title determine what I will write?"



Today was a very interesting day. I was awoken by the dog barking at 6:20 am. Bear doesn't bark unless something is going on or he wants attention. Thankfully he never usually wants attention until after 10am. As I looked out side to see what the big fuss there was...I see a beautiful deer. It was standing next to the porch on the backside of the neighbors yard. Amazing!! what a beautiful thing to wake up to. It just stood there for the longest time. The dog and I watched carefully as the deer watched us. It wasn't until I opened the door to let the dog out to do his business that it left. We live in town and to be honest I have had more wildlife in my backyard since we moved from the countryside. I had a bear cub last year run through. Several moose including a sow and calf. Lots of little creatures too including a weasel...that was scary. I love to see wildlife. I claim to be a hunter but truly just seeing the beauty of the wildlife is sufficient. I have hunted bird and deer (haven't gotten a deer yet) but I truly have an appreciation for the outdoors. The smell, the peace and quiet, the gentle breezes, the cold northern wind. It doesn't matter what season, there is always something to appreciate about the outdoors. The spring is filled with renewal and excitement. Creatures including humans come out of hibernation. Summer is bliss filled with walks barefoot on the grass to hikes through the woods and of course my favorite...camping! I loved Dubouille Mountain. There is absolutely nothing like camping in the woods with a pond nearby and loons crying off in the distance. Coyotes communicating through the open air and the smell of fresh outdoor air. Just enough cool dampness to help you breathe in the wonders. Plus the bonding time with my little daughter of 8 years old. She will never forget our little adventure. Our hike up the mountain the next morning. The eggs and bacon we made on the griddle, with the fire we built ourselves ( we forgot the spatula but still managed to keep the yoke intact...bravo!). We packed our lunch and drinks and headed up the mountain all the way to the top. We could see Canada and the cool front that was coming in from the north. It was breath taking and such a wonderful experience. We had set up our own tent and even washed up in the lake in the morning...nice cold water...brrrr. These are the little pieces that life is made of. Today I stood outside in the freezing cold (-20 degrees wind chill) to watch my same daughter Jessica cross country ski race. She came in very last at 59:57 just shy of an hour. This was her first race and I am very proud of her. She didn't quit and yes she was discouraged but now she can see her improvements and each time she will get a little better. She is 12 now, and how time does fly. She will always remember this race today more than any other. She will always remember Dubouille camp out forever. Someday she will have children of her own and she will share these memories and hopefully make some memories of her own with her children. It is not the day to day things we do, but what we make of each day. God has given us the precious gift of each day and we should value each and every one. Today I was able to sit down with my grandmother and my children and Chris (christys boyfriend) and have a great meal and watch movies and have our cake and eat it too. (vanilla with chocolate frosting). Today was a good day. I look forward to more of these kinds of days. Nothing earth shattering but wonderous just the same. I miss my Louis and I am anxious for him to come home and be a part of some of these days. To God be the glory!
PS Another light bulb bites the dust!! haha

2 Comments:

At 8:24 AM, Blogger Debbie said...

Rita what a nice blog... makes ya really think of all the greatness! I wish I was as brave as you with the woods! I hate Deboullie... it is so creepy being that far from everything. I've been a few times and it's pretty but my mind goes crazy. I loved Kayaking there that was my favorite thing I've done there. Chris has his first race of the season tomorrow! Well love ya wild country outdoorsy sister of mine!

 
At 6:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Princess,

I hope that was a nice break from the every day hustle and bustle. A time to stop and smell the roses, enjoy all the wonders God has given to us. I LOVE YOU, Forever Louis

 

Post a Comment

<< Home