My running paradise...
There is nothing like a run through the empty streets of my small town to totally invigerate the soul. Truly the star-filled sky and the bright full moon leave an impression which far surpasses any tropical paradise. Sometimes life is like that. We sometimes fail to see the forest through the trees. It would be like me running and not noticing the stars, the full moon, the fresh air in my lungs. I would really be missing out. I was skeptical about running at 4:30 in the morning....cold, icy, desolate....but now I look forward and anticipate just how beautiful it will be and how good I will feel afterwards. I went one morning and it was the end of a significant snow storm. We had about 6 inches the afternoon and evening before. The powdery stuff was still falling and the plow trucks were sharing the road with me. I thought maybe I should turn back ...but I am so glad I didn't. I had the opportunity to see refined diamonds poured all over the ground...or so I saw. The sparkle of the new snow, snow that I would first disturb and what beauty in the reflection of light. It was like nothing I have ever seen. With each step I took, the powder illuminated. Running has been my "Prozac" for a few years now. I had dealt with despair and just plain boredom throught the long Northern Maine winters. When my friend introduced me to running about 6 years ago I never knew what a significant role it would play in my life. With my husband deployed to Iraq, three children, a elderly grandmother, and a full time job as a nurse, part time job as a firefighter most people would crack under the pressure. Thanks to my faith in God and my health to be able to run...each day is another survived. I can't say enough about my love for running and all it has meant to me over the past 6 years. I am changed because of it. I lost a large amount of "future cardiac disease risk and diabetes" with 80 lbs to boot....I have since put back on 30. I am not defeated, because about 1 1/2 month ago I re-dedicated my feet to the road...to once again do what I love to do.....To Run!


1 Comments:
Hello Princess,
I LOVE YOU! I am glad you are enjoying your extreme Winter weather running again. I hope those shoe grippers come in handy and work to keep you safly planted on the roads surface. Remember your reflective gear, and enjoy your Northern Maine Winter Escape. Be safe and watch out for those plows. Breaking Tracks in the snow is fun, especially in the 4x4 for me. I MISS YOU! Forever Yours, Louis
Post a Comment
<< Home